No products in the cart.
Every 18 seconds, an older adult is treated in an
emergency department for a fall.
Every 35 minutes an older adult dies because of
The number of people in the US over the age of 65
is expected to grow to 71.5 million by 2030.
Current annual direct medical costs $19.2 BILLION.
Projected 2020 annual costs $54.9 BILLION.
Fall Prevention and Strengthening Program
Fall Stop…MOVE STRONG™ is a nationally recognized joyful fitness/education fall prevention program that helps keep older adults active and safe in their homes and communities. Developed in New York City, FSMS is evidence-based and doctor-recommended; its research is conducted by The Martha Stewart Center for Living at Mt. Sinai Hospital. The FSMS program targets all major muscle groups, increasing strength and improving flexibility, reflexes and balance. Participants gain vitality and confidence. FSMS conducts classes, offers workshops, trains facilities to implement its program, and distributes its DVDs to insurance companies, alert systems, and hospitals. It also licenses its content to a nationwide adaptive computer system -- all to reduce health care costs and the risk of falls in the 60+ population.
- Pre- and post-evaluation for fall risk.
- Attention to individual needsfor mobility and safe performance of activities inside and outside the home.
- Simulation of environmental hazards experienced in everyday situations.
- Safety strategies for managing everyday situations.
- Graduated Exercise Programs with a special emphasis on (re)awakening the joy of movement through strengthening, coordination, flexibility, and balance.
- Participants: 152 participants, ages 55‐90; 127 women, 25 men.
- Pre- and Post-Evaluation:
- Forward Functional Reach Test (Falls Risk):
- Score of <6" = significant increased risk for falls
- Score of 6-10" = moderate risk for falls
- Score of >10" = adequate functional balance
- Results: Significantly lower risk for falls after 10 weeks .
- Average 2.25” increase in forward reach (raw pre-reach scores 2.7‐17”, raw post‐reach scores 4‐18”)
- High Risk Category: Greatest gains: 3.3” increase in forward reach (raw pre-reach scores 2‐6”, raw post-reach scores 4‐14”).
- Increased confidence, better balance reported in indoor & outdoor mobility activities (average 1.5 point increase on 5 point Likert confidence scale)
Celeste Carlucci, Founder
Fall Stop…MOVE STRONG™ founder Celeste Carlucci is a fitness and wellness expert and former professional dancer based in New York City. She received her dance training at The Alvin Ailey School of Dance and alignment training from specialist Zena Rommett. She has performed nationally and internationally as a dancer with many notable choreographers, among them Bob Fosse. For over twenty years she has taught movement and full body strengthening, providing individual attention to address specific needs and ensure that all exercises are performed for maximum benefit. Her background in dance equips her to focus on correct alignment, posture, and the joy of movement. She provides inspiration for the mind as well as the body.
—AUDREY K. CHUN M.D.
Associate Professor Geriatrics
and Palliative Medicine
Associate Professor Medicine
I frequently recommend the Fall Stop...MOVE STRONG program to my patients who have balance issues, are at risk for a fall, or simply want to increase their bone health and reduce the risk of osteoporotic fractures. Those patients who become Fall Stop program participants love it and enjoy the benefits without feeling like they're taking their medicine. This program reinforces my firm belief that prevention is key to staying well. The Fall Stop...MOVE STRONG balance and strength program helps one get fit, move with confidence, and reduce the risk of falling.
—DR. CHARLES BACALL
Fifth Avenue OB/GYN